We need to talk about something that may be a little embarrassing for some, but is very common for many.
A lot of you know what I’m talking about… Not all of you, but many… That smell… That STANK in our gym clothes that makes us gag! It’s like a team of teenage boys used your t-shirt to wipe their sweaty armpits after playing on a hot summer day. Uuuuugh! Okay, so how do we get rid of that stench?!
Well, there IS hope, my friends! Here are some helpful tips to try at home:
- AVOID fabric softeners, because it actually traps that stinky smell into your fabric!
- Try using HALF the amount of laundry detergent you normal use for one load. The natural tendency is to actually use more because you want to get rid of the stench, but more detergent will actually work against you in this case. Because workout apparel is made of Lycra and Spandex materials, detergent actually doesn’t go super well with this stuff.
- Another option would be to use a detergent specifically made for workout apparel. HEX Performance is a laundry detergent specifically made for activewear (www.hexperformance.com)
- If you wash your activewear after every use, it’s okay to even use no detergent sometimes!
- DO NOT PILE UP YOUR STINKY GYM CLOTHES – Okay, we get it. We’re all in a mad rush after the gym, and often times we just toss our workout clothes in the corner. But, leaving our sweaty gym clothes in a pile, or even worse, in our gym bag, allows all that bacteria and stank to build up – Oy vey, Pepe Le Pew!
- When possible, wash your gym clothes immediately after a serious sweat sesh! The sooner, the better!
- One trick many use is soaking their gym clothes in WHITE VINEGAR before washing. Just one cup of white vinegar with some cold water, and soak for 15 to 30 minutes before putting in the washing machine.
- BAKING SODA is another trick you can try. Simply add one cup of baking soda into the washing machine to help get rid of the stench.
- Fresh-squeezed LEMONS is yet another trick that might work. Squeeze one large lemon into the washing machine, and yes, it’s gotta be a real lemon, fresh squeezed. 😉
- HANG DRY OUTSIDE when possible out in the sun. Air drying is ideal.
- Bring a fresh change of clothes with you to the gym, and after your workout CHANGE. The longer you hang out in your sweaty gym clothes, the longer the bacteria and stenches grow! Ewwww!
- Hang them up or lay them out flat on a drying rack if you don’t have time to wash them yet.
- Lastly, know when to say when. There will come a time when that favorite piece of gear needs to be permanently retired to trash. RIP to your “lucky” shirt….it will be missed in spirit but not in stench.
Do you have any other helpful tips for us?! Let us know if these tips help, and what other tricks you have up your sleeves. 🙂