Week 3 of the Open delivered the movements we knew were coming in a completely unprecedented way; barbell thrusters & ALL the gymnastics PLUS some dubs just to make things more interesting. How fun!
Week 3 Top Performances
- Top 3 RX Women: Dria Brown, Andrea Harris, Coach Jenny
- Top 3 RX Men: Coach George, Coach Gavin, Cory Gravesmill
- Top 3 SCALE Women: Stephanie Margaritakis, Holly Thomas, Steph Irwin
- Top 3 SCALE Men: Dan McLaughlin, Scott Yana, Greg O’Dell
We saw some great showings on the leaderboard with some first timers and newbies making an appearance.
- Dan McLaughlin continues to make his presence known in the scaled division, once again claiming the top spot on the mens scaled leaderboard in Week 3. His first open was quite a success!
- The scaled men’s leaderboard saw 2 new faces this week, with the strong and long, Greg O’Dell, grabbing the 3rd best scaled men’s score this week and Scott Yana grabbing the 2nd best spot! And both men are in their first Open!
- Speaking of the scaled divisions, week 3 brought us ALL new faces on the women’s scaled leaderboard as Stephanie Margaritakis, Holly Thomas, and Steph Irwin find their time to shine through thrusters and pull ups!
- And…the Gritty Performance of the Week goes to Holly Thomas, whose repeat improvement not only allowed her to finish the workout, but also moved her onto the women’s scaled leaderboard for Week 3! Nothing like a strong finish from our mighty resident shorty!
- Nick Margaritakis fought hard to overcome a strained knee to complete 22.3, but had to make the tough call to stop early! All of us older folks understand just how hard it is to make that smart call on things like this, so way to go Nick!
- Coach Jenny had a massive improvement on her repeat effort. With a just a few small adjustments to strategy she was able to finish the workout under the cap the second time around.
- Alex Rundell also had a nice redo repeat, and more importantly, she just had fun doing the workout…both times!
- Kathy Darmstadt managed to squeeze out one more rep in her repeat effort, AFTER the first night home with her new puppy….let’s just say there wasn’t a lot of sleep HAHA! Plus she did her first ALL RX Open (Masters)!
- Kevin Irwin finished his first Open with all RX Masters Scores!
- Anthony Szczepaniak did this Open all RX and jumped 30K spots up from last years rankings!
- Chloe Smith competed her 1st Open all RX!
Other First Times & PRs
- Lauren Ozanich did her first chest to bar pull up!
- Jerrica Thomas did her first chest to bar pull up!
- Nicole Weiss did her first chest to bar pull up!
- Ang Young did her first chest to bar pull up!
- Sheila Farrance did her first ever kipping pull up mid 22.3 then went on to get a few more!
- Michelle Hout completed her first ever full workout with jumping pull-up during 22.3!
- Coach Jenny was able to string together sets of 5 bar muscle ups in 22.3…last year in 21.3 she was only able to do sets of 3!
Spirit of the Open Mentions:
- Josh Allatzas was on the floor ALL of FNL as a weight loader for the 22.3 heats!
- Injured reserved teammates, Sara Dye and Charissa Vaughn once again came to FNL to cheer, volunteer, judge and support EVERYONE despite not being able to participate in any of the workouts this year!
- The Snyders, the McAtees, Amber Osmar, Josh Allatzas, the Irwins, Chloe Smith, Christine Ferrante, Stacie Smith, the Rundells, Stephanie Margaritakis, Hillary Buckler, Lauren Ozanich, Coach Jenny, and the Thomas’ were in the house for Sunday Showdown to do fitness things and show support!
- Coach Jenny and Stephanie Margaritakis earned some bonus points on Monday for helping with judging and showing mad support!
- Bruce Fisher volunteered to judge all of FNL! His smiles and encouragement were contagious throughout the night!
- Yet again, almost 100 RTC People Completed 22.3 between Thursday and Monday.
- Redos saw improved scores!
- We heard massive eruptions of cheers and some excited hell yeahs this week as the the open finally gave us a workout with the opportunity to have THE open moments we look forward to every year….those rare and ever so exciting moments when you witness someone do something really hard for the VERY first time ever….that is what it is all about! And we certainly had a few of those epic moments in week 3 as we saw several first time pull ups, chest to bar pull ups, plus some really really really CLOSE bar muscle ups!
Week Two Points
- Team Gavin aka CHALK DIRTY TO ME: 108 pts
- Team Jenny aka GYM & JUICE: 103 pts
- Team George aka BUNS & GUNS: 85 pts
- Team Chris aka #DROPITLIKEASQUAT: 76 pts
- Team GYM & JUICE had another strong showing in week 3 with massive team spirit, but it wasn’t enough, as TEAM CHALK DIRTY TO ME came to play AGAIN this week, knowing they had to bring their best showing if they wanted to maintain their lead! With ALL team members on deck and dressed to win at FNL, team CHALK DIRTY TO ME ran away with the best team spirit award again this week!
- Team GYM & JUICE took the overall win for the best dressed team award again this week! They decked out an entire corner of the gym in all out theme spirit and they even had a live unicorn on the floor all night! This enormous participation at FNL made their presence known for sure! Well done, team. Do we smell a comeback victory after all?!
- Team BUNS & GUNS had another strong showing this week, but still fell a little short with the absence of some key team members at FNL despite their awesome theme setup. It seems they saved the best for last! So don’t count them out yet. Rumor has it Coach George has collected a lot of impact award nominations.
- Team #DROPITLIKEASQUAT gave it their all, but every good competition must have winners and losers…better luck next time guys.
WHAT’S TO COME: IMPACT AWARDS & PODIUM FINISHERS
ALL POINTS (INCLUDING THOSE VALUABLE IMPACT AWARD NOMINATION POINTS WE’VE BEEN COLLECTING OVER THE LAST 3 WEEKS) WILL BE TOTALED AND ANNOUNCED LIVE ON SATURDAY, MARCH 26th at 9:15AM! (Between the 8 and 9:30a classes)